HOUSTON – (March 19, 2021) The Houston SPCA announced today the launch of a new initiative, Foster Family. While their previous foster program has made a difference in the lives of countless animals in our community for decades, Foster Family was inspired and created after so many animal lovers stepped up to help save lives at the start of the pandemic.
Joining Foster Family takes three simple steps:
- Complete online registration at HoustonSPCA.org.
- Watch the training video and pass a short quiz.
- Make an appointment to pick up supplies and bring your foster home.
Agnieszka Podraza has fostered 69 animals for the Houston SPCA since 2018 and realized early on that the health and wellness benefits serve those on both ends of the leash. “It’s great to come home after work, and I get to snuggle with cats and kittens. I call them my emotional support animals. Plus, I can reach out to fellow fosters if I need to go out of town, and we foster for each other,” said Podraza. No experience is necessary, but you must be 18 years of age and have a valid driver’s license to join Foster Family.
What Makes Foster Family Different?
- The Houston SPCA provides all needed supplies, including Hill’s Science Diet pet food, litter, crates, toys, bedding as well as medicine, if necessary.
- All medical treatments and check-ups are conducted by Houston SPCA veterinary staff on our campus, in-person or online per CDC guidelines.
- The Foster gets to choose the animal they would like to bring into their home, such as a puppy who is too immature and needs time to grow or a cat with a serious injury who needs time to heal.
- Back to work post COVID? No problem. Houston SPCA works around your busy schedule and makes it convenient.
- Fosters do not have to find their pets a forever home unless they chose to help. They simply bring the animal back at their convenience.
- A robust private Facebook community of other Houston SPCA Fosters who support one another and share the joys of fostering with one another.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #