(HOUSTON) October 28, 2020 – The Houston SPCA hosted Curbside Adoptions and Tele-Adoptions for the last seven months at the height of the pandemic and after much anticipation, will welcome animal lovers inside the Adoption Center by appointment only on Monday, November 2. Visitation appointments will be booked starting Saturday, October 31 from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 713.869.7722 (SPCA). All visitors will need to make an appointment before they arrive on campus and facemasks are required.
The reopening will also come with some new, personal touches for visitors. Every individual or family will be assigned their own experienced Adoption Counselor when they arrive on campus for their appointment. The AC will guide them through the process of meeting and interacting with available pets based on their personal preferences such as puppies and small dogs in the large get-acquainted spaces; small pets like rabbits and guinea pigs in habitats as well as felines in the Kitty Lodge or large dogs in one of several play yards.
How COVID-19 Impacted Adoptions and Fostering
- March 2020: Houston SPCA cleared out the adoption center with a mega adoption event that resulted in 250 animals finding loving homes or placed into their COVID0-19 Foster Program. There were 300 fosters who cared for pets in their home, including many first-time fosters who decided to make their foster pet a permanent part of the family.
- Meanwhile, emergency services like their 24-hour injured animal rescue ambulance and cruelty investigations, wildlife rehabilitation and fostering continued to operate with safety protocols in place.
- May 2020: The Houston SPCA creates and implements Curbside Adoptions program.
- June through October 31 2020: The Houston SPCA creates and hosts Tele-Adoptions where Adoption Counselors work with potential adopters by phone, while helping them search for the right pet online. The program was very successful, and is attributed to the efficiency and focused time spent on the phone.
- October 28: Houston SPCA reopens their Rehoming Center by appointment only. Please call 713.869.7722(SPCA) ext. 116 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., seven days a week.
- November 2: Houston SPCA will reopen the Adoption Center by appointment only. Visitation appointments will be taken starting Saturday, October 31 from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 713.869.7722 (SPCA).
# # #